The lodge consists of four family rooms with en-suite bathrooms, each of which accommodates four to six people. The kitchen offers all facilities, including cutlery for 20 people, and is close to the main dining area and open fire.
- Mimi Moya generates eco-friendly electricity with minimum impact on the environment.
- Solar energy: electricity and hot water are generated by solar panels, solar geysers, and ‘donkeys’. Donkeys are a traditional heating system with a steel tank that is heated by wood fire.
- Lights: the rooms and kitchen have 12 V lamps and LED lights. The main dining area and open fire (‘braai’ area) is lit by candles, torches, and paraffin lights to create a cozy atmosphere.
- Fridge and freezers: the fridge and freezer operate on gas and 24volt solar power.
- Charging batteries: the rooms and kitchen have 12 V chargers (car charger and USB port) to charge cell phones or AA batteries during the day. Please keep in mind that there are no 220-volt charging options at Boekenhout.
- Cell phone reception: please be aware that the private lodge is a cell phone-free area without wifi or cellphone reception. There is cell phone reception on top of the mountain, a 15-minute drive from the lodge. A two-way radio system can be used in case of emergencies.
Good to know: The nearest shop is in Piet Retief, about a 50km (45min) drive from the main gate. We can do the shopping for you at a small fee if you prefer so. Give us a list and all delicacies will be ready in your fridge upon arrival.